Is an RT (radiotelephony) license required in the EU for an EASA PPL holder acting as PIC in an EU-based aircraft?


1 Answer 1


EASA itself does not require a RT license (RT is usually legislated on national level), however, it gives the state issuing your license the possibility to include RT privileges as part of your license (item XIII in the license).

This is also the most common case, ie, your PPL will most likely include RT privileges, so you will not need an RT license in addition to this.

What EASA state are you planning to have your PPL issued in?

  • $\begingroup$ unless things changed, the Netherlands definitely requires a separate RT license. Then again, anything to make a quick Euro, they used to require one even for cellphones in the pre-GSM days... $\endgroup$
    – jwenting
    Apr 19, 2017 at 6:08
  • $\begingroup$ I am still confused with it: there is separate "communication" topic in theory course and exams, we pass ICAO English as international aviation language, but, as I understand, almost all EU countries still require that license, and most of them require separate exam (for example, RTOL in England or RT in Czech) in its own language... $\endgroup$
    – avtomaton
    Apr 23, 2017 at 21:35
  • $\begingroup$ During your training, you will need a student license. Typically, the student license does not include radio privileges, thus the need for a separate radio license (which then typically becomes "embedded" into your PPL). $\endgroup$
    – Waked
    Apr 24, 2017 at 12:21
  • $\begingroup$ @Waked I believe radio "privileges" don't come with PPL (at least in most of the EU countries, I know 7 where it is needed for sure). Can you specify where not? Usually a separate license is required. And in some countries an ICAO language exam is needed to fly abroad $\endgroup$
    – gusto2
    May 5, 2017 at 13:29
  • $\begingroup$ @GabrielVince Could you please list states where it is required if you already have filled "RT privileges" section in the PPL? I know only about UK and NL. $\endgroup$
    – avtomaton
    May 5, 2017 at 20:06

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .