In a master plan of an international airport, which is already approved by the client, I face some confusion between the terminology of the PLB and the contact stand.

Sometimes they're mentioned just as the same component, not like other locations. I assumed a sort of a conflict in the master plan but I'd like to confirm this please.

Is there any benchmark like ICAO or IATA that defines such components, e.g., the gate, rotunda, PLB, contact stand, etc.?

  • $\begingroup$ Have you consideder asking the client for clarification? $\endgroup$ – expeditedescent Mar 18 '17 at 15:05
  • $\begingroup$ I'm working within Client's PMC firm who joined the project recently. $\endgroup$ – A.K.Y. Mar 18 '17 at 16:15

ICAO Annex 14, which deals with aerodrome design (not really terminals) uses the terms PLB and aerobridge.

Wikipedia lists many names for it, with the official being PBB (Passenger Boarding Bridge). The names listed are jet bridge, jetway ®, gangway, aerobridge/airbridge, air jetty, portal, and skybridge.

Official FAA documents use the term PBB. (Example.)

Contact stand most probably is used to distinguish it from a remote stand, it's not very popular according to Google. Rotunda or pivot describes that a PBB pivots, or perhaps the pivoting / telescoping part.

To answer the main question, yes they all mean the same thing, with PBB being an official name.

  • $\begingroup$ In Germany they are colloquially called finger. I always thought that was the international term and was surprised that this is not the case. (German Finger == English finger, the ten grabbing devices attached to a human hand.) $\endgroup$ – PerlDuck Mar 18 '17 at 18:47
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @PerlDuck: "the ten grabbing devices attached to a human hand": Some people have only five :-) $\endgroup$ – mins Mar 19 '17 at 10:52
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @mins Some people say the thumbs don't count, which then gives only four. :-) I just wanted to make clear that finger in German is nothing else than in English (unlike e.g. chef which exists in German as well but has nothing to do with cooking). $\endgroup$ – PerlDuck Mar 19 '17 at 14:15
  • $\begingroup$ @PerlDuck: Just kidding. Read this to see the extent the kitchen lingo comes from French. The best oddity to me is maître d' (litteraly "master of"). I'm sure there is the same number of oddities in every language though. $\endgroup$ – mins Mar 19 '17 at 17:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.