This question already has an answer here:

I'm so confused how airport numbering works. If an airport has a single runway oriented 063 degrees and 243 degrees M. What would be the runway designator?


marked as duplicate by Ron Beyer, abelenky, Steve V., vasin1987, voretaq7 Feb 17 '17 at 4:59

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • 6
    $\begingroup$ 06/24... what is the confusing part? Rounding? $\endgroup$ – Ron Beyer Feb 17 '17 at 3:52
  • $\begingroup$ I know that runways are determined by their heading so runway 243 is like South West and 063 would be North East. $\endgroup$ – IceCold Feb 17 '17 at 4:04
  • 3
    $\begingroup$ Right, so I'm wondering what the confusing part is, how the numbers are rounded? Runways aren't identified by cardinal points (NE, NW, SW, etc). $\endgroup$ – Ron Beyer Feb 17 '17 at 4:08
  • $\begingroup$ I'm confused myself because its one of the questions on this textbook that im studying and it says the following. "An Airport has a single runway oriented 063 degrees/243 degrees M. What is the appropriate runway designato?" So what i dont get is how runways are designated or i guess identified. $\endgroup$ – IceCold Feb 17 '17 at 4:12
  • 4
    $\begingroup$ 06/24 like I said, runways are designated by the first two digits of the 3-digit magnetic heading. 025 = 02, 122 = 12, etc. Take a look at the duplicate question I marked. $\endgroup$ – Ron Beyer Feb 17 '17 at 4:14

When a runway is at Magnetic Heading 063, it is rounded to the nearest 10° , which is 60°, so its designation is Runway 06

When a runway is at Magnetic Heading 243, it is rounded to the nearest 10° , which is 240°, so its designation is Runway 24

Since you can take off or land on a runway from either end, a single strip of asphalt will typically have two numbers, one for each end. These two numbers will always be 180° apart, or their designations will be 18 different.

So Runway 06/24 refers to a single runway, that you can use from either end.


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.