Hello I am a fan of aviation and would love to be a private pilot, but I have ADD that is controllable. I can control my ADD and I'm cancelling my medications. Can I get a medical certificate if I just send a waiver from my doctor to the AME or FAA? Thanks for the help

  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Although you're not reapplying this question does address applying for a medical with history of ADD. $\endgroup$
    – fooot
    Commented Jan 6, 2017 at 20:49
  • 3
    $\begingroup$ See this question and the FAA's examination requirements. Unfortunately, once you've been diagnosed with AD(H)D it becomes quite difficult to get a medical, even if you're now off meds. Ideally you should have a consultation only - don't apply for the actual medical! - with an experienced AME who's dealt with similar cases before. A sport pilot license could be another option; there's no medical required. $\endgroup$
    – Pondlife
    Commented Jan 6, 2017 at 21:17
  • $\begingroup$ Your doctor cannot issue waivers, only letters concerning your treatment. Getting a waiver is done through the FAA and as Pondlife said, is very difficult even after discontinuing medication. $\endgroup$
    – Ron Beyer
    Commented Jan 6, 2017 at 21:23
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Yes, by going through the proper steps you might get a medical. Be sure you don't mistake "difficult" for "impossible". If you are motivated and stick with it you may very well be able to get a medical if you are no longer taking medication despite a past diagnosis. $\endgroup$
    – J W
    Commented Jan 6, 2017 at 23:50
  • $\begingroup$ Pond life is right, consultation only cuz if you are denied you can never go LSA, which is where you,re headed. $\endgroup$
    – Don
    Commented Dec 8, 2017 at 8:30


You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .