I am looking to replace my Gill battery with a Concord. The regulations appear to allow me to do this as an owner.

However, the Concord battery weighs 2 lbs more.

I cant find it in the regs if I can legally modify the weight and balance for the airplane myself, or do I need an A&P to sign it off, possibly as a minor alteration?

  • 2
    $\begingroup$ You can recalculate the W&B and print up a new form but an A&P must sign off on the new W&B data. $\endgroup$
    – acpilot
    Jan 5, 2017 at 3:13

1 Answer 1


Is the Concord battery on the approved equipment list? Is it approved to be in your airplane due to it being PMA'd?

The point is that the battery has to be approved by the FAA and if it isn't you'll need to get it approved. It's not a major redesign requiring form 337 but a minor alteration to it's approved type certificate.

To answer your question, you can alter your weight and balance but it must be signed off by an A&P mechanic.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .