(Source) A Boeing 747 raft survival kit.
Typical content does include nonperishable food and bagged water—
- Survival Manual
- Flashlight, w/Lithium Batteries
- Knife Assy., Utility
- Signal Mirror Assy.
- Sea Dye Marker
- Raft Repair Kit
- Whistle Assy.
- Water Package Assy. (4.23 fl. oz. per pack)
- Bailing Bucket
- Lip Balm
- Adhesive Bandage, 1 in (16 per box)
- Bandage Compress, 2 in (4 per box)
- Bandage Compress, 4 in (1 per box)
- Triangle Bandage, 40 in
- Adhesive Tape (2 rolls per pack)
- Sea Sickness Pill Packs (12 tablets per pack)
- Day/Night Flare
- Water Purification Tablets (50 tablets per bottle)
- Antiseptic Swabs (10 swabs per box)
- Ammonia Inhalants (10 vials per box)
- Burn Compound (10 tubes per box)
- Eye Dressing Packet
- Candy (Sucrose) Rations (10 candies per pack)
It's the crew responsibility to gather the kits.
They're located near the exits either in closets, ceiling compartments, attendant seat stowage, or overhead bins. Exact location varies by plane and airline.
Axes, first aid kits, ropes, fire extinguishers, megaphones, etc., are also stored in the same locations mentioned above.