I am a European citizen and last year I went to the US to start flight training. I got my student license and did my FAA private written exam. I logged about 78 flight hours with a flight school.

I also flew several times with an FAA authorized instructor but I never logged those hours because I was flying part 141 and since my flight instructor was under part 61 I was afraid I could not log those hours. I do not have a private license because I had do go back to Europe.

Now I'm back in Europe but I have the chance to fly at Christmas with an instructor in the US (not a flight school). Could I log these hours on my logbook I had started in the US?

And how can I combine my US and European logbooks?

  • $\begingroup$ I'm not really sure what you're asking here. Are you asking if you can add your European flight time to your US logbook? If so, see here and here. And I don't understand your comments about part 61/141 and unlogged time, but perhaps that should be a completely separate question. $\endgroup$
    – Pondlife
    Commented Nov 30, 2016 at 13:57
  • $\begingroup$ Sorry @Pondlife , maybe I'm just not making myself so clear, it's just I'm trying to put a lot of info in such an abbreviated question. If you don't mind I'm going to simplify this: 1) can I still log hours in my American logbook, even tough I'm not flying with a flight school? 2) Can I somehow combine my Euro with my American logbook? $\endgroup$ Commented Nov 30, 2016 at 14:12
  • $\begingroup$ I edited your question, I hope it's still correct but if I made a mistake then you can edit it yourself to fix it. $\endgroup$
    – Pondlife
    Commented Nov 30, 2016 at 14:39

2 Answers 2


Based on what you've written, the main issue for you is TSA approval. As a foreigner, you can't receive initial flight training in the US from any school or instructor unless you have a TSA approval in advance. And you need one approval per school or instructor: if the TSA approved you for flight training at a 141 school, you can get training from that specific school only. To use another 141 school or a part 61 instructor, you would need a second, separate approval.

But, assuming that you do have (or can get) the TSA's approval then you can log the training time as usual. The instructor must endorse (sign) your logbook as described in 14 CFR 61.51(h):

(h) Logging training time. (1) A person may log training time when that person receives training from an authorized instructor in an aircraft, flight simulator, or flight training device.

(2) The training time must be logged in a logbook and must:

(i) Be endorsed in a legible manner by the authorized instructor;

And your question about multiple logbooks has already been asked.

  • $\begingroup$ Thank you so much! This was pretty much what I was looking for. Once again, thank you $\endgroup$ Commented Nov 30, 2016 at 15:05
  • $\begingroup$ If I'm reading your answer correctly, without TSA approval he could not legally receive instruction so could only log the time flown if he was solo (which wasn't the case if an instructor was with him). Correct? $\endgroup$
    – Lnafziger
    Commented Nov 30, 2016 at 16:24
  • $\begingroup$ @Lnafziger Correct, AFAIK. If he has a valid solo endorsement, of course. $\endgroup$
    – Pondlife
    Commented Nov 30, 2016 at 16:58

Your log book is for logging flight time. You log whenever you fly. Comments areas help you know where you flew. Knowing whether hours flown count for a certificate or rating is your responsibility.


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .