I would like to do a web search for different planes that have utilised the "bat wing" paint application noticeable on the wings below? What keywords should I search for?

enter image description here


2 Answers 2


Although aeroalias is correct that this is often associated with Gee Bees, I think a more 'generic' term is a scalloped paint scheme, e.g.:

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Scalloped is the term I was looking for but I am still unable to find many aircraft images (other than Gee Bees). In case is due to my unfamiliarity with aircraft terminology can I ask what search terms you used to return those results? $\endgroup$
    – darmi
    Commented Nov 8, 2016 at 22:28
  • $\begingroup$ @darmi I think I simply searched for "scallop paint aircraft" or something similar, I can't remember exactly $\endgroup$
    – Pondlife
    Commented Dec 16, 2016 at 0:36

This particular paint scheme was used in a number of Gee Bee aircraft (in different colors) and is popularly called the 'Gee Bee paint scheme'.

Gee bee scheme

GeeBee R2 Super Sportster By Netweave - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, Link

According to the book Gee Bee:

The Gee Bee's paint scheme was inspired by the Coca-Cola paint signs of the 1930s.

This page, where an image similar (same?) as yours is available also calls it the Gee Bee scheme:

Gee Bee paint schemes have been popular on Fly Babies, but have you ever wondered what one would look like with a small radial engine?


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .