Talking about landing gear system, came across my mind the correct and technical name. Is it NOSE GEAR or NOSE LANDING GEAR?

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ I find the term "Landing gear" rather misleading, is it retracted for taxi and take-off? $\endgroup$ – JustSid Oct 28 '16 at 15:40
  • 5
    $\begingroup$ The terms are interchangeable. I've seen Boeing maintenance manuals refer to it as a 'Nose Gear'. But both terms are fine; people will understand it either way. $\endgroup$ – Carlo Felicione Oct 28 '16 at 15:51

Based on the ATA iSpec 2200, ATA Standard Numbering System, which provides a standard for structuring maintenance data by the manufacturers. The structure helps the airlines by providing a common structure regardless of manufacturer. While voluntary, most aircraft manufacturers use it.

The spec is organized into chapters by aircraft system. ATA Chapter 32 is LANDING GEAR. Chapter subsections cover subsystems. Subsection -10 is Main Gear and Doors and subsection -20 is Nose Gear and Doors. So that's the 'common' terminology in the aircraft manufacturing and maintenance world.


From FAA order 5300.7, Nose Gear seems to be the correct word. enter image description here


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.