Any idea how one certifies a gravel kit for an aircraft? I am interested in possibly developing and certifying a gravel kit as an STC.

I am looking for FAA regulations that would be involved in such a project.

  • 4
    $\begingroup$ Are you wanting to do a one time field approved alteration for one certified aircraft, develop your own Supplemental Type Certificate alteration for certified aircraft, or something else entirely? $\endgroup$
    – J W
    Commented Sep 27, 2016 at 20:50
  • $\begingroup$ I'd contact a Flight Standards District office in your local area about this. $\endgroup$ Commented Sep 28, 2016 at 18:19

1 Answer 1


The FAA has a nice checklist here.

You should read through the FAA's GUIDE FOR OBTAINING A SUPPLEMENTAL TYPE CERTIFICATE. I assume you are a civilian but,

This advisory circular (AC) is a certification guide for obtaining a supplemental type certificate (STC). It is intended for civilian applicants only. We have written it to help designers, manufacturers and installers applying for STCs to better understand the STC process. The guidance in this AC is general in nature and intended to help an applicant gain a basic understanding of the STC process and our respective roles and responsibilities.

You will need to fill out this application form and submit it to the FAA ACO office in your area.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .