I have read about getting a FAA licence to 'piggyback' with a EASA PPL(A). Is there a similar route for a EASA LAPL(A) licence. I assume if there is then there would be the same restrictions ie Max 4 on board, No night flying or IFR flying allowed, simply VFR, which would not be a problem for me.

Basically, I am looking to take a flying holiday (vacation - let's not upset the U.S. readers) - not hour building to gain any additional licences or ratings.


1 Answer 1


Unfortunately, an LAPL license isn't ICAO compliant. This is from the UK CAA:

Licences which do comply are known as ICAO licences and those which do not are known as non-ICAO licences. Non-ICAO licences are not fully recognised internationally, and therefore are only valid for use within certain states or Europe; for example, the LAPL is only valid in Europe.

That means that the FAA won't recognize it and you can't use it to get an FAA PPL under 14 CFR 61.75, because that requires you to hold an ICAO compliant private pilot's license. As far as I know, there's no other way to convert a foreign license to a US one (a sport or recreational pilot license would be the closest US equivalent).

  • $\begingroup$ Added note that the FAA sport license has a limit of one passenger. $\endgroup$
    – TomMcW
    Commented Aug 17, 2016 at 17:23

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .