I hold a CPL from Pakistan and currently fly an A320. I have accumulated over 4000 flight hours. If I visit the United States, what is the procedure to obtain a FAA ATP certificate?

  • $\begingroup$ Your question is more or less answered here. You need to be in the US legally (visa, green card), get TSA approval (if necessary) and be able to pay for your training. $\endgroup$ – Pondlife Jul 19 '16 at 12:21
  • $\begingroup$ @Pondlife I think that he wants to convert his foreign license to a US license. $\endgroup$ – Lnafziger Jul 19 '16 at 17:04
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ While this question covers converting an EASA license, the process is the same. $\endgroup$ – Lnafziger Jul 19 '16 at 17:06
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ @Lnafziger Good point, that could be it. But I don't think the question you linked to applies either: you can only get a private certificate under 61.75, not an ATP. For an ATP he still has to do the tests, at least according to 61.153. $\endgroup$ – Pondlife Jul 19 '16 at 18:08

There are many things that need to be accomplished.

  1. Get a letter of authenticity from the FAA validating your license is valid and from an ICAO contracting country.
  2. Study and pass the ATP multi-engine written test. You may have to get a graduation certificate from a school offering the CTP course.
  3. Apply for and receive TSA clearance.
  4. Take the FAA ATP practical test in an A320 airplane or FFS simulator. It is best to contact a training center on what is required.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.