In the UK, which ATS unit would be responsible for CTR entry clearances? Would the approach controller issue them, or would the approach controller need to co-ordinate a clearance from the aerodrome controller? If the former, I assume the approach controller would pre-note the aerodrome controller?

  • $\begingroup$ Are you talking about IFR or VFR? For IFR flights the clearances are usually given by clearance delivery before departure. $\endgroup$
    – TomMcW
    Jun 6 '16 at 21:12
  • $\begingroup$ Sorry should have specified, I'm referring to VFR. $\endgroup$
    – tim-berry
    Jun 7 '16 at 20:36

The answer depends on which aerodrome you are talking about, and can be found in the UK AIP: http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/index.php%3Foption=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=165&Itemid=3.html

Click eAIP to open the electronic AIP. In the left menu, open the AD 2 Aerodromes section and navigate to the aerodrome in question. Then open the AD 2.17 section of that aerodrome.

In AD 2.17, airspaces related to the specific aerodrome are listed. Column 1 contains the airspace designator and lateral limits. Column 4 contains the responsible ATS unit.

As an example - the Birmingham (EGBB) CTR is controlled by Birmingham Approach.


This site is temporarily in read only mode and not accepting new answers.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .