So my student pilot license is missing a middle name, but my drivers license, written exam, and passport all have it printed.

I've spoken with the DPE, and he says it may be an issue, or it may not, and that he is going to look into it.

I've called FSDO, airmen certification branch, and other DMVesque organizations, and they all seem to say the same thing:

Oh, you need to talk to (insert amorphous bureaucracy here)

Does anyone know who I actually need to talk to, or if this is even an issue? Do I just need to call FSDO and insist that they fix the issue, or what?

The DPE said that with the written exam being OK it may be a non-issue. Would love to hear from a DPE on here if possible.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ The FAA people must not be paying much attention lately. This is the 3rd licence discrepancy question on SE in two months $\endgroup$
    – TomMcW
    Jun 6 '16 at 21:18
  • $\begingroup$ Contact the person who issued it to you Ie. The AME/DPE/CFI etc. $\endgroup$ Jun 6 '16 at 23:42
  • $\begingroup$ @RyanMortensen the AME no longer practices... $\endgroup$ Jun 7 '16 at 0:50
  • $\begingroup$ @OneChillDude I had the same issue. My passport doesn't have a middle name field, and includes my middle-name as part of my first-name. My DPE noticed this and hence left the middle-name field blank on IACRA, and followed what my passport had. So, I believe the Passport/Birth Certificate holds more value when identifying yourself. $\endgroup$
    – RaajTram
    Jun 7 '16 at 1:35
  • $\begingroup$ @OneChillDude ouch. I suppose the real question is whether anything official says that your SPL/medical must have a middle name on it. Maybe contact the Civil Aerospace Medical Institute in Oklahoma City. They are the authority on medicals. $\endgroup$ Jun 7 '16 at 6:35

Alright so here is the outcome:

I called FSDO, spoke with a real nice guy who told me to give him a call if I couldn't handle this online.

Called a zillion bureaucracies, all telling me to call someone else.

Called the nice guy at FSDO, set up an appointment for a name correction not a name change. Went to the appointment and was in and out in under an hour.

If you're having the same issue, I would recommend bringing every official identification you've got: passport, birth certificate, drivers license, etc.

Tl;DR call FSDO and tell them you need a name correction. NOT a name change. Can't stress that enough.

  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Thank you for sharing the outcome! Did you happen to learn whether or not your AME could have helped you if he/she were still practicing? $\endgroup$ Jun 8 '16 at 17:07
  • $\begingroup$ @RyanMortensen I did not find that out, however I am 99% sure that the AME can reissue a medical, however that will cost money, FSDO is free $\endgroup$ Jun 9 '16 at 16:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.