Have a look at this picture: enter image description here

It's from Airliners.net (though I've modified it a lot) and shows some lines on the fuselage. What are they? Are they Lightning Diverter Strips like in this question ?


2 Answers 2


No, they are just the boundaries between skin panels. See below for a picture of the 747-8 fuselage during assembly.

[Boeing 747-8 front from side[1]

Boeing 747-8 front from side (picture source)

And this is how the panels for the cylindrical section look like before they are joined:

Boeing 747-8 panel skins

Boeing 747-8 fuselage panels. The original picture (source) is named "wing panel skins", but these are really fuselage parts.


These lines are skin laps. The vertical ones do not overlap, the horizontal laps overlap by three rows of fasteners.

  • $\begingroup$ The downvote wasn't mine but it would probably help if you explained what a "skin lap" is. The asker surely wanted to understand what they are, not just what their name is. $\endgroup$ Aug 23, 2016 at 10:22

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .