Disregarding financial and difficulty concerns, would it be possible (legal) for someone to obtain a PPL license on a jet aircraft?

If it is possible, would there be any restrictions on the license on operating piston engine aircrafts?

EDIT: the linked question asks about EASA regulations. This question is about FAA regulations, thus, the answer in the linked question does not apply.

  • 4
    $\begingroup$ Turbines are a separate class, so yes, you would not be allowed to fly piston engines. You'd need to get an extra class rating for that. I don't think there are any restrictions on doing your training using turbines, except your wallet. $\endgroup$
    – falstro
    Commented Apr 1, 2016 at 9:20
  • 4
    $\begingroup$ See also this question $\endgroup$ Commented Apr 1, 2016 at 10:05
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ The linked question basically asks the same thing, only regarding EASA instead of FAA. If someone would kindly amend the answer there, I would close this question. $\endgroup$
    – kevin
    Commented Apr 1, 2016 at 12:13
  • 3
    $\begingroup$ @falstro The FAA doesn't have a separate class for turbine vs. piston. The turbine requires a type rating, but it would all be Airplane - Multi Engine. Couldn't fly single-engine, but piston twin would be OK. $\endgroup$
    – NathanG
    Commented Apr 1, 2016 at 14:24
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ @rbp Fair enough, sometimes I forget about single-engine jets. If you could accomplish the checkride in one of those, you'd have an ASEL that works with pistons too. $\endgroup$
    – NathanG
    Commented Apr 1, 2016 at 14:40

2 Answers 2


There is nothing in the US regulations and no references that I can find that prohibits a pilot from learning to fly in a jet aircraft. There are multiple systems on a jet aircraft that are not found in small GA aircraft and the same systems are more complex. A lot of professional pilots who fly the same jet for a career don't fully understand the different systems on their jet.

The issue isn't with the FAA though; it is with the instructor and insurance companies.

I certainly would not agree, as a CFII, to train a new student pilot in a jet. I personally don't want to take on the liability for the payment I would receive for my services.

Most insurance companies will not ensure a student pilot to learn to fly in a jet.


In theory, it is perfectly legal to do your primary training in a jet.

It is becoming common in militaries to do initial training in turboprops.


Managing such a turboprop aircraft is actually simpler than managing your typical piston aircraft. One button start. One lever engine control.

Maybe some day that will become a single engine jet.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .