I am FAA certified, but my medical certificate has lapsed. Would my pilot certificates and a fresh medical enable me to fly in Japan?

  • $\begingroup$ I don't know about Japan specifically, but generally speaking it's not that hard to transfer your licence between two ICAO-compliant countries, however you will need a new medical. Depending on what licence level you have there might be a theory exam and/or flight test required, but the hours you have count just about everywhere. If you get no answers here you should contact JCAB. But that's the first step, actually getting a commercial job is apparently hard for foreigners to Japan. You'll need fluent Japanese and permanent residency (so I hear). $\endgroup$ – Ben Feb 16 '16 at 22:05
  • $\begingroup$ Thanks for the comment Ben. Actually, I just want to get current again. There's a flying school near here that has 172's and I'd like to rent and go fly again. $\endgroup$ – Mr. Tingle Feb 17 '16 at 1:14
  • $\begingroup$ I can't answer your question, but if you're anywhere near these guys then you could renew your medical and rent an N-reg aircraft from them. As a US pilot in a US aircraft, you shouldn't need any Japanese certification. At least, that's the way it usually works but they would be able to tell you if there are other requirements. $\endgroup$ – Pondlife May 5 '16 at 18:24

With a US license, you are allowed to fly US registered (n-registered) airplanes everywhere in the world. Find a US CFI (in Japan) that can get you current and start flying.

The bigger problem might be, to find a Medical Examiner in Japan that is allowed to do medicals in Japan. My first search, at the FAA website (https://designee.faa.gov/SelectTypeOfSearch/SelectTypeOfSearch), didn't show anything.

Not sure if BasicMed works for you though.

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ This isn't universally correct. For example, in Europe, if you're a resident then you also need an EASA license to fly an N-registered aircraft. $\endgroup$ – Pondlife Jun 20 '18 at 13:33
  • $\begingroup$ @Pondlife That is not at all accurate. EASA does not have any authority to regulate issues related to a US pilot with a US license flying an N-registered aircraft. Residency has no impact on this. EASA cannot, for example, ramp-check an N-reg aircraft. That is why so many European pilots get US tickets and register their aircraft in the N-registry through holding companies. $\endgroup$ – Juan Jimenez May 23 '19 at 13:27
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @JuanJimenez See this answer and there's a lot of discussion on the web about it. But you may be right, it looks like the regulation has been delayed a few times, at least for private aviation. $\endgroup$ – Pondlife May 23 '19 at 15:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.