I've noticed a grey line on the flaps of the A319:

enter image description here

What is that?

  • 4
    $\begingroup$ duct tape holding the flap together ;-) $\endgroup$
    – Michael
    Feb 14, 2016 at 20:17

1 Answer 1


You are seeing the steel reinforcing sheet metal at the line where the spoilers rest on the flaps when both are retracted. It is there as a bearing surface since there is some inevitable contact between the spoilers and the top surface of the flap when they are both retracted during flight.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ From a maintenance point of view, do you known how long they are used before the sheet are changed? $\endgroup$
    – mins
    Feb 14, 2016 at 17:56
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ I don't know if they have a regular maintenance schedule or wear limit on that sheet metal. $\endgroup$
    – Craig K
    Feb 14, 2016 at 18:01
  • 10
    $\begingroup$ The technical name is Rubbing Strips. $\endgroup$
    – J W
    Feb 14, 2016 at 18:57
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ If you painted those strips the paint would rub off unevenly and look like damage. $\endgroup$
    – GdD
    Feb 15, 2016 at 11:10

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .