What is this metal plate for?

aircraft door

You can also see it here:


Is found on many aircraft so what is that piece of metal right there?

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ The entire hull is metal. Though I would guess for aiming the stairs $\endgroup$ – ratchet freak Feb 12 '16 at 1:10
  • 3
    $\begingroup$ Or a strengthened area to avoid damage to the fuselage due to stairs moving around. $\endgroup$ – Greg Hewgill Feb 12 '16 at 1:13
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ And/or an access panel to get to the inner workings of the door? $\endgroup$ – Lnafziger Feb 12 '16 at 1:20
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Greg is right. You can see from the damaged paint below the door on the first image that this area gets more abuse than the rest. It needs some protection. There is more on the inside, because the corners of the door cutout accumulate stress when the fuselage is pressurized. That is also the reason for the massive door locks - most of the stress is transferred into the door. $\endgroup$ – Peter Kämpf Feb 12 '16 at 8:29

@Greg is correct. It is a scuff plate, to protect the fuselage from damage due to GSE (like jetbridge etc). The image below shows it.

Scuff plate

Image from slideshare.net

The image below shows an example made out of Ti from a manufacturer's site.

scuff plate

Image from exoticmetals.com


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.