I don't find the horizontal stabilizers or the elevators of a Concorde at the tail section like other aircrafts. Are they fitted beside the ailerons in the wings?enter image description here


1 Answer 1


There is no "horizontal stabilizer" on the Concorde like other commercial aircraft, the wing performs that duty because it is a delta-wing. The elevators for the Concorde are combined with the ailerons into something called "elevons" which perform both functions (Think stereotype paper airplane).

Note: Elevators and Horizontal stabilizers are not the same thing. Most aircraft have their elevators located on their horizontal stabilizers, only a few have the whole stabilizer as an elevator.

Source here

  • $\begingroup$ Are both the elevons rised or lowered at the same time in a Concorde to make it descend or ascend? $\endgroup$ Feb 8, 2016 at 10:59
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @DwiparnaDatta: Yes. Google "elevons". They're used often on jet fighters that don't have separate elevators. Moving the stick up and down make the elevons move in the same direction (down and up) like an elevator. Moving the stick left and right make the elevons move in opposite directions like ailerons. In a turn where you're controlling both aileron and elevators the elevons move slightly up and slightly in opposite directions. $\endgroup$
    – slebetman
    Feb 8, 2016 at 14:38

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .