I've noticed something on the engine of this bizjet. Could somebody explain what that is? cessna 500

Source (image modified to indicate location of fairing).


Those are the fairings containing the mechanisms for the engine's reverse thrust system. See this photo (copyrighted) of the similar reverse thrust "buckets" deployed on a Citation 550.

See this example of a similar thrust reverser system deployed on a different aircraft type:

enter image description here

Image source, public domain

See also Wikipedia's article on Thrust Reversal systems.

|improve this answer|||||
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ A common name for this is a "stang" $\endgroup$ – Steve H Feb 7 '16 at 1:32
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @SteveH A "stang fairing", yes, you're right. $\endgroup$ – J Walters Feb 7 '16 at 3:11
  • 4
    $\begingroup$ Copyright image nicely handled! $\endgroup$ – FreeMan Mar 7 '16 at 17:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.