In this question the following image is shown, with the question what the two bulges at the aft fuselage are.

However, I'm wondering what this wire is that starts somewhere midway the fuselage, and goes to the vertical stabilizer. Is it also radar related? enter image description here enter image description here

Image Source


It is the HF antenna. It was mostly used in older aircraft, which used them in trans-oceanic flights or in areas without UHF or VHF communications facilities.Modern 737s (and other aircraft in general) have done away with them. On later versions it was fitted in the leading edge of the Vertical fin of B737-200s, as shown in the figure below.

B737 antenna

Image from b737.org.uk

Note that these aircraft were delivered in 1982-83. Newer 737s don't have these.

| improve this answer | |
  • $\begingroup$ So the wire was a part of the HF antenna? And the newer version don't need this wire anymore? $\endgroup$ – ROIMaison Jan 27 '16 at 12:34
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @ROIMaison Yes. The new antenna looks something like this $\endgroup$ – aeroalias Jan 27 '16 at 14:08
  • $\begingroup$ @aeroalias: That page seems to require an account to see it. Do you have any references that don't require an account? $\endgroup$ – user2357112 supports Monica Jan 27 '16 at 17:09
  • $\begingroup$ @user2357112 Thats wierd. There seems to be no problem for me. Anyway, see this. $\endgroup$ – aeroalias Jan 27 '16 at 17:12
  • $\begingroup$ When you say "newer 737s don't have these," you're referring just to the long external wire antennas, not HF antennas in general, right? AFAIK, nearly all airliners still have HF antennas for the purposes you mentioned (i.e. trans-oceanic routes and such.) $\endgroup$ – reirab Jan 27 '16 at 20:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.