On Airbus, the window beside the Captain and the First Officer has the technical name of SIDE WINDOW. What's the name on other aircraft, or they have the same specification?

  • I fail to see which window you are refering to. You may add a picture highlighting it. – Manu H Nov 12 '15 at 14:20
  • "Side window" sounds like a purely decriptive term, to me, and not a technical term. – David Richerby Nov 13 '15 at 9:38
  • Adding to @DavidRicherby comment, other "names" exist on Airbus documentation: What is this pattern on the A350 front window? – mins Nov 13 '15 at 12:21

The windows to the side of the pilots on the Embraer airplanes are called "Direct Vision" (DV) windows. They are named as such because they can be opened and removed both during normal ops on the ground and emergency ops while airborne to provide forward vision when the main windscreens are obscured.

For Boeing, the captain's side window is the L2 window, with L1 in front of him, R1 in front of the coplilot, and R2 being the copilot's sliding window. The L3 and R3 window are aft of the sliding windows.

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.