I found a 4-5' styrofoam wing in eastern Montana in a field. It has what looks like a registration number on it. How can I trace that number to try to return it?

  • 6
    $\begingroup$ Any possibility of getting a photo and adding it here? $\endgroup$ – Thunderstrike Nov 6 '15 at 20:26
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Pure styrofoam, or styrofoam core with something else around? Can you please be more detailed? $\endgroup$ – Peter Kämpf Nov 6 '15 at 20:53
  • $\begingroup$ If it's from an R/C plane, which seems likely, there's a chance it could have an Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) member number on it somewhere. $\endgroup$ – Fred Larson Nov 1 '16 at 18:37

If it has a US registration number on it (N followed by 1-5 numbers or letters) you can search the FAA registration database to find out what aircraft has that particular registration number, and who owns it.
In the case of a 4-5 foot styrofoam wing this would likely only be useful if the aircraft in question was a registered UAV.

Some common sense needs to prevail here: Model aircraft often have an N number painted on them for decorative reasons, so if you look up N12345 and it says "That belongs to a Piper Cub" you can safely assume this wing does not belong to that particular real-world aircraft (as the Cub's wings are not made from styrofoam, and are more than 5 feet long).

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.