I have an EASA LAPL (A) fixed wing pilots license and would like to know what the equivalent FAA license would be.


2 Answers 2


I'm not sure about their equivalence (meaning one cannot fly in US with a LAPL right way), but the closest that comes is the Recreational Pilot license.

The requirements are roughly similar:

The limitations are also roughly similar:

  • Recreational pilot license doesn't allow the pilot to have more than one passenger, while the LAPL does (upto three).

The new EASA LAPL licenses (A, S, etc.) are sub-ICAO level licenses, meaning that they do not conform to ICAO standards (required minimum training hours, for one).

Since ICAO is normally the framework under which various countries accept each others' licenses, there is currently no recognition of LAPL outside of EASA member states.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.