I have noticed at a local airport the AWOS METAR oftentimes is missing visibility measurements. In talking with other more experienced pilots, they tell me this isn't an isolated thing. They indicated that they read between the lines of the other data on the report (or other reports) to get an idea of what weather to expect.
Example: KTPF 132055Z AUTO 29004KT SCT080 30/22 A2991 RMK AO2 PWINO
The recording always states "VISIBILITY MISSING" meaning it has a sensor and is just... not working?
My questions are:
- Is it really normal to see reports without viz?
- Why does this happen so often for AWOS when ATIS doesn't have problems with it?
- Should this be reported to some entity (NOAA/FAA) to get these systems repaired or exchanged?
- The fact that it is missing visibility information does not mean that visibility is unobstructed, right? I have heard people assume this.
- If the recording says "VISIBILITY MISSING", is it indicated in the METAR somewhere?