It looks like a second fan or something. enter image description here

  • $\begingroup$ As a matter of phrasing, the fact that you aren't sure what something is doesn't make it strange. :) These are present on many (most) turbofan designs and have been for decades! $\endgroup$
    – egid
    Commented Sep 4, 2015 at 18:04

1 Answer 1


Those are Outlet Guide Vanes / Fan Exit Guide Vanes. They prevent the flow (bypass flow in this case) from rotating. The these vanes do not rotate, they are fixed to the housing. They also provide structural support.

Because there is no energy lost on the rotation of the flow the efficiency is increased.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Indeed they are present on the GE 787 engine also of course. bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-11-25/… $\endgroup$ Commented Sep 3, 2015 at 22:12
  • $\begingroup$ Sorry I reviewed the pic it did actually have outlet guide vanes. My apology. $\endgroup$
    – Ethan
    Commented Sep 3, 2015 at 22:21
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @Ethan: How engines are assembled by Rolls Royce, a good documentary on the Trent 1000 with many details on what is inside the casing, and for sure many (good) questions :-) $\endgroup$
    – mins
    Commented Sep 3, 2015 at 23:27
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ The exit vanes also extract a little amount of thrust from the flow by converting some of the rotational energy into a forward force on the vanes. $\endgroup$ Commented Sep 4, 2015 at 11:21
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @PeterKämpf That is indeed how the recuperated energy manifests itself. $\endgroup$
    – DeltaLima
    Commented Sep 4, 2015 at 11:26

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .