I wonder what are the elements below the wings (pointed by the black arrows in the image). I'm not referring to the sticks at the end of them, which I found them to be "static wicks", used for static electricity discharge.

enter image description here

  • $\begingroup$ @Simon no he's explicitly not talking about the static wicks. But instead about the anti-shock bodies. $\endgroup$ – ratchet freak Aug 10 '15 at 11:17
  • $\begingroup$ @Simon , as I pointed out in the post, I was not referring to static wicks but to the pods. Thank you ratchetfreak for your dup. $\endgroup$ – Claudix Aug 10 '15 at 11:17
  • $\begingroup$ Doh, I'll delete the comment :) $\endgroup$ – Simon Aug 10 '15 at 11:27

They are flap track fairings which contain the flap mechanism.

They are called Küchemann carrots (also called anti-shock or Whitcomb body) and are used to reduce wave drag in transonic speeds.


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.