Many larger airports (class Bravos) have a landing fee. What's the process for assessing and collecting the fees?
- How do these landing fees work with general aviation aircraft?
- Where can I find out what the fee will be? Is it published?
- How will I be charged the fee? (Pay before leaving the airport, bill sent to my home, etc.)
- Is the landing fee a flat rate or is it calculated based on aircraft weight or some other factor?
- I've heard that the landing fee is generally waived if you buy a few gallons of (overpriced) gas at an FBO, is that true?
Example scenario: I offer to take a friend up for a scenic flight. He lives very close to a moderately busy class B airport while my home airport and FBO is over an hour away from him. I offer to fly into the class B airport to pick him up and then drop him off at the end of the flight.