Is someone who holds a current EASA PPL(A) allowed to operate an FAA "November" registered aircraft in Europe? Of course I'm talking about a type of aircraft and of operation he or she would be allowed to conduct with an, for example, German-registered aircraft.

  • $\begingroup$ Hehe, that's the reason why I'm asking :D $\endgroup$
    – Falk
    Jan 16, 2014 at 22:15
  • $\begingroup$ You're specifically referring to Germany in your question. Is your question limited to Germany or anywhere in Europe? $\endgroup$ Jan 16, 2014 at 23:18
  • $\begingroup$ Thanks for your edit Philippe. I'm a German, but in this question Germany is only used as an example. I was not happy with replacing this last part with the word operation, but if you like we can use Europe instead of Germany. $\endgroup$
    – Falk
    Jan 16, 2014 at 23:29

2 Answers 2


This is regulated by the FAA in FAR 61.3 and local regulations specific to each country

(a) Required pilot certificate for operating a civil aircraft of the United States. No person may serve as a required pilot flight crewmember of a civil aircraft of the United States, unless that person:

(1) Has in the person's physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft when exercising the privileges of that pilot certificate or authorization—

(i) A pilot certificate issued under this part and in accordance with § 61.19; (ii) A special purpose pilot authorization issued under § 61.77;

(iii) A temporary certificate issued under § 61.17;

(iv) A document conveying temporary authority to exercise certificate privileges issued by the Airmen Certification Branch under § 61.29(e); or

(v) When operating an aircraft within a foreign country, a pilot license issued by that country may be used.

To operate a US-registered aircraft you either need an FAA license or a pilot license issued by the country where the aircraft is operated in. This also means that you are not allowed to fly into another country, unless you also have a license issued by that country. Even if individual countries allow foreign registered aircraft to be operated by a license holder of another (non-FAA) country, it would still be a violation of FAR 61.3.

Bottom line: if you want to fly a N-registered aircraft without an FAA pilot license in Europe, you need a pilot license issued by every country you're flying into. For example, if you plan a trip from The Netherlands to Portugal you would need 5 different EASA PPL licenses issued by The Netherlands, Belgium, France, Spain and Portugal.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @SentryRaven Sadly, that's not how it works, whether it makes sense or not. The FAA regulations are pretty clear about that. $\endgroup$ Jan 17, 2014 at 13:49
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ This answer is not correct. As @Qantas94Heavy pointed out, the text of (a)(v) says "may." The FAA does not require a foreign license. FAA-certificated pilots routinely fly FAA-registered aircraft through, into, and back from (to name one particularly common example) Canada, and do not require a Canadian pilot's license. I'm not as familiar with EASA regulations, but I very much doubt that a license from each of the countries in your last paragraph is required in your example (and certainly would not be required by the FAA). $\endgroup$
    – TypeIA
    Apr 21, 2014 at 19:15
  • 5
    $\begingroup$ @dvnrrs The answer is correct. I said that you "either need an FAA license or a pilot license issued by the country". So if you don't hold an FAA license, you need a license of the country you're flying in. In your example about Canada: the pilot has an FAA license (as you specifically said), so there's no issue. I will clarify that again in the last paragraph. $\endgroup$ Apr 21, 2014 at 21:17
  • 5
    $\begingroup$ @jwentling Did you actually read the question and my answer? It's about flying an N-REGISTERED aircraft WITHOUT A US PILOT LICENSE in Europe. "WITHOUT". I specifically said that you need either an FAA license (U.S. license) or a license issued by the country you're flying in. $\endgroup$ Apr 22, 2014 at 14:40
  • 6
    $\begingroup$ @PhilippeLeybaert Just to follow up, I heard back from the FAA and they've confirmed that your interpretation is correct - 61.3 and the Chicago Convention render the EASA license invalid once you leave the issuing country (unless the state of registration of the aircraft & the state issuing the license are the same). That could mean collecting a lot of licenses in Europe if you're flying an N-registered aircraft :-) $\endgroup$
    – voretaq7
    May 24, 2014 at 2:03

Regarding EASA regulation 216/2008 and 1178/2011 (EU). Since April 8, 2015, the EU laws also require pilots who live in Europe, and fly a foreign registered aircraft (for example an N-registered aircraft) that they also have to have the EASA license. There will be a postponement of this regulation by one year, i.e. until April 8, 2016, that the EU intends to publish in the coming weeks. Until 2016, there will be a bilateral agreement between the EU and the USA, providing a simple mutual recognition of licenses, stand-alone licenses. This will make it much easier to get a FAA stand-alone license.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ do you have any links to the actual regulations you are mentioning? $\endgroup$
    – Federico
    Apr 11, 2015 at 6:29
  • $\begingroup$ EU 1178/2011 easa.europa.eu/document-library/regulations/… EU216/2008 easa.europa.eu/document-library/regulations/… $\endgroup$
    – Waked
    Apr 13, 2015 at 22:14
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Can you please explain how it would change the process of getting a FAA license if you already have a valid European PPL license? As far as I know, the new EASA regulations won't make it any easier to get a standalone FAA license for European pilots. $\endgroup$ Apr 13, 2015 at 22:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.