The answer to the question Can my plane get off the ground? has the comment:

I'm going to get it checked by the faa

Part 103 for Ultralights says that:

(a) Any person operating an ultralight vehicle under this part shall, upon request, allow the Administrator, or his designee, to inspect the vehicle to determine the applicability of this part. (b) The pilot or operator of an ultralight vehicle must, upon request of the Administrator, furnish satisfactory evidence that the vehicle is subject only to the provisions of this part.

but also that

(a) Notwithstanding any other section pertaining to certification of aircraft or their parts or equipment, ultralight vehicles and their component parts and equipment are not required to meet the airworthiness certification standards specified for aircraft or to have certificates of airworthiness. (b) Notwithstanding any other section pertaining to airman certification, operators of ultralight vehicles are not required to meet any aeronautical knowledge, age, or experience requirements to operate those vehicles or to have airman or medical certificates.

That doesn't sound like the sort of airworthiness consultancy that the comment implies. In the UK you could ask the British Microlight Aircraft Association to look over your design. Do the FAA provide that sort of service?

  • $\begingroup$ The BMAA is a very different kind of organization from the FAA. $\endgroup$ Commented Apr 8 at 17:54
  • $\begingroup$ @DJClayworth Exactly, that's why I mentioned it. $\endgroup$ Commented Apr 8 at 21:22


You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .