Aviation Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for aircraft pilots, mechanics, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I (a hypothetical person) am involved in an activity like laser light shows, model rocket launches, fireworks displays, or construction which I think might be important to pilots. How can I submit this information to the FAA so that they can issue a NOTAM?

share|improve this question
up vote 20 down vote accepted

When I have had to file NOTAMs for skydiving demonstration jumps, I just called AFSS (1-877-4-US-NTMS) and asked to file. The folks at Lockheed are way more helpful than the Feds used to be and will walk you through the process, but it is still good to have your information together before you call. At a minimum you need a description of your activity, altitudes in MSL, times in zulu, and a location. Location should be in reference to an aiport or nav aid ("Within one nautical mile of the BFE airport", or "27nm from the BADGER VOR on the 340 radial, for a radius of 2 nm"). If the activity requires authorization, you will also need to have that squared away before calling.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.